Garage Door Maintenance Tips
The garage door functions perfectly only when all the components both electrical and mechanical runs smoothly. Due to continuous use, local weather conditions, lack of lubrication, and friction among moving components can decrease the strength and performance of the garage doors. Regular garage door maintenance service is vital to keep the garage door in a good working position. Therefore, you should have some basic knowledge about the mechanism of the garage door. This way you can undertake the successful DIY garage door project.
How to conduct garage door maintenance project:
A garage door is unlike another ordinary door in a residential building. It is the largest and electrically moving equipment which is also used as the main entrance to your house. Since a garage door is a combination of both mechanical and electrical components which are hard to understand, you should start your work by reading the user’s manual provided by the manufacturer. It will also help you to get a basic understanding of all the components and their respective operating mechanism. Afterward, you can proceed to undertake some common garage door maintenance routines. Here are common garage door maintenance techniques:
- Inspection of garage door: Take a close look at all the moving components and operating mechanism of garage door, if your garage door won’t close properly. Check garage door metal tracks, opener, drive belt, rollers, electrical connection, and bearings. Try to find out the dents in the panels of garage door. You should look for the signs of general wear and tear or rust on metal tracks. In case, the metal tracks are not aligned properly, use a carpenter’s level to align them in a straight way.
- Lubrication of moving parts: Moving parts of garage door needs a straight and friction-free surface for smooth operations. Use any high quality oil or light silicone spray according to the recommendation of manufacturer. Avoid using the WD-40 for lubrication because it attracts the dust and dirt which can cause to severe damages to other components of garage door. In addition to this, garage door rollers, pulleys, chains, hinges, and screws also need periodic lubrication.
- Garage door opener setting: Latest garage door models can be reprogrammed by the user easily. A professional garage door expert may set the default setting which is suitable for daily use. You should not temper the default setting unless you understand the operating instructions mentioned in the user’s manual.
- Dented garage door panels: Regular use of garage door can cause to dents or bumps. Light weight metal or aluminum garage door panels are known to get dents quickly. You can fix it quickly and easily. You may use a small hammer or a large piece of wood to flatten the panel. The wood board acts as a support to remove the dents.
- Garage door ventilation: Your garage and home can get cold during winter or hot in the summer. You can install a ventilation fans to lower the temperature and humidity. Another technique to install exhaust fan near the windows of garage door. Well, insulated garage door helps you in saving energy cost and maintaining the cooling and heating environment.
- Garage door insulation: Garage door panels filled with polystyrene are designed to resist variations in temperature. You should install garage door panels with polystyrene foam. In addition to this, the gap between the bottom of garage door and floor should be filled using a fiber strip and rubber sealing.
Bounce tip: Accumulated dust and dirt can lead to rusting. This issue can be removed easily by simply washing the garage door using any mild household detergent. You may use sandpaper to rub the baldy affected area and remove the rust. Rub the faulty area properly and apply zinc-rich lubricant. Garage door maintenance routines can save hundreds of dollars. Serious problems should be handled only by professional garage door experts.